History of the Conference
55 Years and Still Growing
1956/1957-2011/2012

 

The Archdiocese of Miami sports program has come a long way in 55 years.  Back in 1956-60, there were a handful of schools that played sports against each other.  These schools did not belong to a conference. They just played each other in two boys sports, basketball & baseball.  Little did they know that this was the start of their first independent league.  The original charter members were Sts. Peter & Paul, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, St. Rose of Lima, Holy Family, Immaculate Conception, St. John the Apostle, St. Theresa and St. Mary's Cathedral.  The first name that we know of for the Conference was "The Catholic Grade School League."  This name was given to the league in 1965.  In 1966, the first girls sport, volleyball, was introduced.  This was followed by girls softball in 1969 and girls basketball in 1971.  In 1970, the league had a name change: "The Catholic Athletic League."  As the league grew with more schools, so did the addition of more sports.  Track & Field meets were added on Saturdays in the early 70's, along with flag football.  From 1976 to 1978, the league was run from the office of the Catholic Youth Organization (C.Y.O.).  This was the start of the Archdiocese overseeing the league. In the early 80's, two more sports were added, cross country & soccer.  Then volleyball and softball tournaments were added.  In 1982, the league name was changed to "The All Catholic Conference" as it is known today.  This was also when the Archdiocese Department of Schools appointed a moderator to oversee the running of the Conference.  In 1989, the Conference added two new events, the Coaches Olympics and the Junior Olympics for the children in the Conference.  In 1993, the 1st Annual Coaches Awards Dinner was held.  In 1999, two more sports were added, boys and girls spring volleyball.  Also during this year, the Conference started the Coaches Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. In 2000 came the addition of girls Junior Varsity volleyball and basketball.  After 25 years of being idle, flag football was also reinstated.  The Conference also sponsored the first Tri-County Championships for private schools in three sports: cross country, cheerleading & track and field.  In 2001, the Conference added three more sports, Junior Varsity boys soccer, primary boys basketball and girls varsity flag football.  In 2007, a primary sport was added, boys and girls soccer.  At the same time, the first boys and girls basketball playoffs were introduced with schools classified in 4A, 3A, 2A and 1A, competing for the first annual Maria Alonso Memorial trophy. In 2008, the first girls volleyball playoffs were introduced with schools competing for the first annual Joan Dembowski Memorial trophy.  In 2011, the Golden Knight Scholar Athlete Service award was started.  From the original 8 schools that started 55 years ago, we have grown to 27 member schools with a total of 38 sports. (We have also had an additional six schools in the Conference that have closed).  The Conference has also had 13 presidents or directors who have shown their leadership in a variety of ways.  We have also had many moderators who have supported the Conference.  Thanks to all for making the conference such a success!